nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Tree clones from different nurseries grow differently

  • From: Michael Dossett <phainopepla@yahoo.com>
  • To: "rewagner@centurytel.net" <rewagner@centurytel.net>, North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>, North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Tree clones from different nurseries grow differently
  • Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2011 14:30:45 -0700 (PDT)

Richard,  what you say is true, microenvironment can play a huge difference
that is sometimes overlooked, but I think Alex really hit it spot on.  While
plants cannot be "trained" as you say, the environment plays a HUGE role in
gene expression and regulation, and can create different phenotypes because
of environment even when exactly the same genes are present.  Science is only
just beginning to uncover this and understand it.  There was an excellent
episode of NOVA a year or so ago called "ghost in your genes" that talks
about epigenetics and gave some amazing examples of how environmental
influence of gene expression affects not only the individual acted upon by a
particular environment but can also lead to long lasting heritable changes
that can be observed in the offspring even generations later.  Here is a link
to the page about this episode on the PBS website.  If you click on the link
"A tale of two mice" there is an good example about
how two genetically identical twin mice not only look very different but how
epigentic changes affect differences in there health.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/genes/

There are also clips from the episode on YouTube, but really anyone with an
interest in this should order the video of the episode because it is really
eye-opening to see how (an example from the show) going through a famine in
child hood can affect the genetic propensity for obesity a couple of
generations later.  This aspect of gene regulation really is the cutting edge
of genetics research today.

Michael

Michael Dossett
Mission, British Columbia (zone 7)