nafex - Re: [NAFEX] flavorful blackberries?

  • From: "Mark Angermayer" <hangermayer@isp.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] flavorful blackberries?
  • Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 07:50:50 -0600

I've grown several of the moderately hardy blackberries (as opposed to West
Coast varieties):
Arapaho
Ouachita
Navaho
Apache
Triple Crown

I'm also familiar w/ Chester. Although I haven't grown it, I've sampled it
from a U-pick fairly close to here.

Of all the above Triple Crown is the sweetest berry. If picked when fully
ripe, it's plenty sweet. I do get a little dieback of Triple Crown here in
zone 6. For zone 5 Apache would probably be a better bet. It should be
sweet enough for you, though not quite a sweet as Triple Crown. Apache
produces huge berries.

Mark
Kansas