nafex - Re: [NAFEX] [ARTICLE] Storing Potato Slips

  • From: "loneroc" <loneroc@countryspeed.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] [ARTICLE] Storing Potato Slips
  • Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 07:38:58 -0600

Hi Lori,

I should clarify that you plant the sweet potatoes in pots (small is fine--they have their own nutrients) in a sunny window or even in the ground if you have a greenhouse. Plant them vertically, buried about half way. If you plant in water stick the tater with four toothpicks to hold them halfway out of the water. The slips will grow. I've grown sweet potatoes here in a sandy zone 3 for 5 years and they do well for me.

Storing sweet potatoes too cold seems to cause hard spots inside the potato which never soften when they cook. You should also "cure" them after harvest in a very warm moist spot. I cure mine in loosely closed garbage bags set near the woodstove. If you see mold on the curing taters open the bags a bit. After a couple of weeks I set them in a closed, cool bedroom next to my winter squash. Contact me off-line if you want more info.
Steve H.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Lori Rizzo" <larizzo@charter.net>