nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Chester Thornless Blackberry

  • From: Michael Dossett <phainopepla@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Chester Thornless Blackberry
  • Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 16:48:50 -0800 (PST)

I would be skeptical but you might be surprised. I have not seen hardiness
ratings from any reliable sources for Chester Thornless that go any lower
than 4b. There are some "no name" places on the internet selling it that
claim zone 3, but I wonder where they get their information or if they are
just being optimistic as conventional wisdom for Chester Thornless is zone 5.
Perhaps they are just talking about the crown of the plant rather than the
canes (which don't bear until the second year). The release info on it says
"It is well adapted south of a line extending from western Maryland, through
central Ohio, to Kansas City, Missouri in the eastern United States and to
portions of the West Coast of the United States." Having said that I know
people have had good experiences with it growing it north of that line.

Having said that, you might be surprised as often things do go a bit lower,
particularly with the right care (e.g. mulching/burying canes which could be
hard given it's erect nature, hardening off, etc.) and in the right spot. I
would also be concerned about length of season as it is quite late and may
not be able to ripen a good crop in short season areas even if the canes were
hardy.

Michael

Michael Dossett
Corvallis, Oregon