nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Fleshy Hawthorne

  • From: Douglas Woodard <dwoodard@becon.org>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Fleshy Hawthorne
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 21:21:26 -0400

Jay, Grimo Nut Nursery in Ontario (a few miles from me) sells hardy black walnuts and ships to the U.S.

http://www.grimonut.com

They sell seedlings hardy at Morden Manitoba (SW, Agriculture Canada zone 3b) and some from Minnesota parents selected 35 miles east of St. Paul, and some from parents at Potsdam, St. Lawrence County, NE New York State (high ground north of the Adirondacks, where St. Lawrence Nursery operates). They sell the cultivars Weschcke from Minnesota and Bicentennial from Potsdam, among others less hardy.

The raspberry cultivar Boyne is commonly grown on the southern Canadian prairies. Have you tried it?

You might be interested in the small book "Growing Nuts in the North" by Carl Weschcke, see

<http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/18189>

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada

Jay Cutts wrote:
I think the original question was about the taste of certain hawthorns that are advertised as being a bit "juicier" than others. It sounds like so far no one has actually tasted these fruits. I'd also be very interested to hear if someone has.

I originally got a C. douglasii to experiment with these and then got what is listed as a Cherry Hawthorn. Both are growing for me here at 7000 ft in NM but no where near blooming size yet. The fact that they have survived here is significant because, even though we are rather far south, the altitude and harsh conditions cause us to lose many trees. For comparison sake, Illinois Everbearing mulberry has not been able to survive, though another one called Northrup has. Can't get any of the Juglans to survive. The tops of raspberries rarely survive. So these hawthorns have at least proven their hardiness.

Regards,

Jay

Jay Cutts
Director, Cutts Graduate Reviews
Lead Author, Barron's Test Prep Publications
800-353-4898 day or eve, 7 days
(In NM, 505-281-0684)

[snip]