nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Fleshy Hawthorne

  • From: Jay Cutts <orders@cuttsreviews.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Fleshy Hawthorne
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 10:18:52 -0600

I think the original question was about the taste of certain hawthorns that are advertised as being a bit "juicier" than others. It sounds like so far no one has actually tasted these fruits. I'd also be very interested to hear if someone has.

I originally got a C. douglasii to experiment with these and then got what is listed as a Cherry Hawthorn. Both are growing for me here at 7000 ft in NM but no where near blooming size yet. The fact that they have survived here is significant because, even though we are rather far south, the altitude and harsh conditions cause us to lose many trees. For comparison sake, Illinois Everbearing mulberry has not been able to survive, though another one called Northrup has. Can't get any of the Juglans to survive. The tops of raspberries rarely survive. So these hawthorns have at least proven their hardiness.

Regards,

Jay

Jay Cutts
Director, Cutts Graduate Reviews
Lead Author, Barron's Test Prep Publications
800-353-4898 day or eve, 7 days
(In NM, 505-281-0684)

piper33@verizon.net wrote:
I'm in zone 8 in Seattle. I grow our native black haw. The birds also planted a red one, not sure of the species. I will be drying the haws for tea. I also had a Chinese hawthorn that survived the winters but it didn't grow much in the summer... too cold I guess.
-Mark Lee, Seattle, more blueberries ripening, grapes just starting to bloom, pie cherries turning yellow

Jun 28, 2010 08:58:22 PM, nafex@lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

>I bought some dried Chinese haws at an Asian grocery. The
proprietor said to make
>tea out of them. They make a really delicious tea, sort of
apple-cranberry-spice
>flavored. I'm thinking of planting the seeds, although I hear
they're hardy
>only to zone 6.
>
>Melissa

**YOU MUST BE SUBSCRIBED TO POST!**