nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Butternut info needed

  • From: Sarah Kehler Ewing <skkewing@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Butternut info needed
  • Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2009 08:37:51 -0800 (PST)

Thanks for the input. I've read that I can plant them in a nursery bed for a
year (this is recommended because of low germination and for protection of
the nuts from squirrels), but then they have to go out! We have two dogs and
lots of cats that keep those critters out of my garden, but I'm also picking
up more hardware cloth to cover my nursery for the winter. Our soil is heavy
clay, but I have goats and chickens that produce enough manure for me to
amend my planting areas.

I am planting most of the 500 seeds as soon as they arrive today or tomorrow!
We do have the room: I keep finding things to fill up the 25 acre yard site
that we fenced out of the 160 acres we own. Once that is full, then I get to
kick the renter and his cows off and keep going on the rest!

I'm also looking at spreading the seeds out to my local fruit explorer group
as you are correct that butternuts are in serious trouble. My guess would be
that the cancer simply hasn't reached us because 10 trees per province isn't
enough to spread it. Even if I plant acres of them, as long as I practice
proper bio-hazard precautions like not bringing any more butternut trees in,
I will probably never get it.

Sarah
zone 3
Edmonton, AB