nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Butternut info needed

  • From: Sarah Kehler Ewing <skkewing@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Butternut info needed
  • Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2009 14:17:55 -0800 (PST)

I should have mentioned that I have bought several 6' butternut trees over
the last few years and planted them in small clearings with lots of tree
protection. I've never had them die back, but I did lose one spring 09 that
had previously made it thru 4 winters with no problem. I blame that on me
not watering them in last fall after last summers drought. The other three
butternuts did fine.

However, I have no experience with young plants or with growing them from
seed and really haven't done much more than admire them and water them
occasionally. I have heard that larger plants are hardier, but am hoping
someone can comment on hardiness when the seeds come from a similarly cold
climate rather than from many zones warmer.

Sarah
zone 3
Edmonton, AB
elevation 2373 feet