nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Butternut info needed

  • From: Matt Demmon <mdemmon@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Butternut info needed
  • Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2009 09:16:34 -0500

Sarah, I don't have any price information, but I have planted
butternuts from seed. I had great success with just planting them in
the ground in the fall after I harvested them. I put them in a few
scattered places, and about half of them came up. I assume that the
rest were either duds or got eaten by rodents. I imagine you could
also stratify them indoors, but it seems easiest to either plant them
out in a nursery bed or in their permanent location (maybe 2 or 3 to a
spot) and then protect them with hardware cloth if you have a lot of
squirrels. The squirrels will eat them anytime from planting until the
fall of the next year, because the nut hangs out attached to the tree
the whole first year providing nutrients until it's exhausted, and
I've had rodents dig up the tree and bite the nut off with chestnuts
and hickories. The tree can actually still survive, but it's lost a
lot of calories.

As for hardiness, I don't see many butternuts around here because of
the canker, but I visited a friend in Wisconsin about an hour
Northeast of Minneapolis, and the butternut trees there were weedlike,
invading prairies and growing pretty much everywhere. I guess growing
much like black walnut grows around here, doing well anywhere there's
sun, decent soil, and a nut source. Don't know what zone that is, and
can't remember the name of the town.

-matt z5 se MI