nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Butternut info needed

  • From: "Kieran &/or Donna" <holycow@frontiernet.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Butternut info needed
  • Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2009 08:20:42 -0600

Sarah, If you have room, you should jump at the chance as I take it they are not too common there? Jay's comments on location are worth noting, if you can get a look at where the tree is, or a topo map of the area where the tree is growing, you may find that it is an especially favored site. If your soil is less suitable they may grow more slowly for you, if you get more wind you may find that it's not really that much hardier than the trees you already have. You may be too far north for canker, which would be good for preserving some butternut germplasm as I hear they are disappearing fast. Two bits of advice, plant where you want them as I assume they make taproots (?), and protect from squirrels. The tin can with the X in it has worked for us. Donna