nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Cameo Apple

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Cameo Apple
  • Date: Sun, 02 Nov 2008 13:02:50 -0600

Not long ago someone defined the Cameo apple as "bland" on a posting. I just sampled my first apples from this cultivar and would like to offer a different opinion.

The only Cameo apples I've eaten have come from the grocery store, and yes, I thought they were bland (too much like Red Delicious for my taste). Of course, I don't think I've bought them again after the first bunch, so that's not much of a taste test, is it? And I wouldn't be at all surprised if they were better right from the tree.

But considering the number of apple varieties - with new ones showing up all the time, it seems - I don't give an apple too many chances. I can understand how I might miss something good that way. But on the other hand, I don't have room to plant any more apple trees, anyway.

:-)

Bill
Lincoln, NE

--
The e-mail of the species is much deadlier than the mail. - Stephen Fry