nafex - [NAFEX] Marcona "Queen" Almonda

  • From: Claude Sweet <hortventures@cox.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Marcona "Queen" Almonda
  • Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2008 11:32:13 -0700

I recently tasted some Emerald brand "Marcona Almonds" that are advertised as the "Queen" of Almonds.

The web site http://www.nutsonline.com/nuts/almonds/marcona-almonds.html?source=gaw&kw=cam1grp69AdB&type=search&keyword=marcona%20almonds&adid=1096669801&placement=&gclid=CKXVkM-mn5QCFQyfnAodPzKnfg described these almonds as imported from Spain.

Marcona almonds, the "Queen of Almonds," are imported from Spain. They are shorter, rounder, softer, and sweeter than the California variety. These marcona almonds are roasted in oil and then sprinkled with sea salt. It is important that oil remains in the bag and coated on the almonds to help maintain the almonds freshness and maximum flavor.

http://www.amazon.com/Emerald-Marcona-Almonds-11-5oz-Canister/dp/B0015ZQBZ2

It seems that this is a variety that is native to Spain and I may be dry farmed which accounts for the smaller kernel size. Other sites claim the nut is roasted in olive oil.

I found the Emerald nuts to be mild flavored and seemed to me to be blanched and salted, not roasted in olive oil.

Has anyone attempted to grow this variety in California or other states?

Claude Sweet
San Diego, CA