nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Germinating mulberry seed

  • From: Alexander Dragotin <a_dragotin@yahoo.de>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Germinating mulberry seed
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2008 18:18:34 +0200 (CEST)

The following interesting way to germinate mulberry seed I found somewhere years ago. The only aid needed are chickens.
First the chickens are fed with the mulberry fruits. Second the chickens dung is carefully collected.
Third the collected dung, containing the mulberry seed, is sowed.
I didn't investigate if the chance of success is higher than the usual way only because I didn't had chickens. My usual way is to collect mulberry fruits, smush them in newspaper and lay them open to lose the excessive wet. Late in fall I mix the washed seed with sand and keep light moist over the winter near light open cellar window of not heated room (I have USDA Zone 7). In the spring I sow the seed in heated room.
I have made it as with morus alba so and with morus nigra seed.
In the next spring I am grafting whip and tongue the seedlings.
I sowed the mulberry seed in the fall in the yard, but outdoor the surviving is a problem. The mulberry leaf is the favorite food of the snails.
Alexander Dragotin
USDA Zone 7
Germany

"Lucky.Pittman@murraystate.edu" <Lucky.Pittman@murraystate.edu> schrieb:
Well, while we're on the 'germinating berry seed'
topic, how 'bout you experts giving me your thoughts
on germinating Morus rubra seeds. I collected fruit
from one of my favorite rubras while I was visiting
my mom in AL a couple of weeks ago, and a co-worker
brought me a small bag of fruits from the excellent
'Lawson Dawson' M.rubra he introduce me to several
years back. I'd like to grow out some seedlings of
these two good mulberries to plant out around the
farm - I've never met a rubra that I didn't like, and
these are two really good ones.
Any tips would be appreciated.

Lucky

**YOU MUST BE SUBSCRIBED TO POST!**