nafex - [NAFEX] Replant disease

  • From: Lisa Almarode <lisaalmarode@yahoo.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Replant disease
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2008 08:58:56 -0700 (PDT)

This is a big subject, so perhaps some good pointers to an introduction
to this topic would be ideal.

I want to plant a couple of cherries near an existing cherry tree. In
reading about varieties, I came across some info on replant disease and
I'm a little concerned if this will apply in this case - there could be
a few cherry roots going through this area (I want to plant fairly close
so we can net the whole thing).

"Replant" implies it only applies to planting another of the same type.
But wouldn't all stone fruits affect each other, for example? And if
the tree is there and healthy, can you plant nearby and only later take
out the first, or will it be a problem if it happens when the tree is older,
too? And don't plants and presumably trees shed roots all the
time, anyway?

Lisa in Oregon
Sunset zone 7 - USDA zone 7 - 1800' elevation - 19" annual rainfall

ps - they said sweet cherries hate heavy soil and waterlogging. And our
soil is very heavy clay with standing water in winter. But this 2002
impluse-purchase cherry is ignoring the rules and doing fine, at least
since I dug some ditches to deal with the standing water, and am making
some attempt to keep down the rampant grass with cardboard. Boy are those
cherries delicious.

  • [NAFEX] Replant disease, Lisa Almarode, 07/01/2008