nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Germinating mulberry seed

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Germinating mulberry seed
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2008 10:14:57 EDT

In a message dated 6/30/2008 9:47:43 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Lucky.Pittman@murraystate.edu writes:

Well, while we're on the 'germinating berry seed'
topic, how 'bout you experts giving me your thoughts
on germinating Morus rubra seeds.

Good AM Lucky,

Several years ago I simply placed berries in the ground, as I recall maybe 1/2 inch deep and waited. I had to trim, off the extras. Sad to say, none when fruited were as good as I remembered the tree from which the berries came from.  They were smaller also. One is now grafted to Illinois Ever Bearing. The other to a tree I found bearing reasonably good fruit in Jackson, MI. IEB is even much better than those from which seed was collected. The MI graft here isn't as good as I remembered the ortet was in MI.

Just as Malus, there is great genetic diversity in Morus seedlings, graft, graft, graft.

Jerry