nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Is anyone else growing dragon fruit?

  • From: Spidra Webster <spidra@speakeasy.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Is anyone else growing dragon fruit?
  • Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2007 19:54:30 -0700

On Sep 30, 2007, at 7:08 PM, Michael Nave wrote:

I don't grow them but have tried eating many of them
and every one I have ever had was insipid.

Because the Light Brown Apple Moth quarantine prevented me from bringing our member's produce to our booth at the Botanical Garden this last Sunday, I bought some tropical fruits for the CRFG booth, including a pitahaya. I had never had one fresh before. And, yep, it was insipid. However, Trader Joe's used to carry dried dragonfruit and it was really quite good.

In the May & June 2005 issue of The Fruit Gardener, on p. 19, there's a short article, "Growing Dragonfruit When There's No Space Available", which seems to indicate its natural habit is to sprawl. However, what was meant to be a temporary home by the side of the garage door ended up being a good place because the pitahaya used the garage wall as a trellis and grew nearly straight up from a 2 gallon pot.

Megan Lynch

Berkeley, CA
Zone 9b