nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Is anyone else growing dragon fruit?

  • From: "h black" <hblack1925@fastmail.fm>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Is anyone else growing dragon fruit?
  • Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2007 21:00:12 -0500

I'm pretty sure I have a Hylocereus but I got it primarily for the blooms. It is spectacularly beautiful. I get fruits, which are red and about the size of a medium plum if I hang the plants outside where they can be pollinated. I grow them in hanging baskets and have had maybe 4 fruits per plant. I expect mine, being selected as ornamentals, are not the finest fruit. I found them a bit like prickly pears, kind of insipid. I do keep them pruned - they seem to bloom best if kept dry over winter (from Jan thru March or longer)
Hector Black, zone 6 middle TN. They're outside all summer in baskets.
----- Original Message ----- From: "V. Michael Bove Jr." <vmb@teakettlefarm.com>