nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Is anyone else growing dragon fruit?

  • From: "V. Michael Bove Jr." <vmb@teakettlefarm.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Is anyone else growing dragon fruit?
  • Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2007 19:49:08 -0400

On Sep 30, 2007, at 7:48 PM, S & E Hills wrote:

Is new growth
tender (can it be trained if one starts early?) I'm picturing giving it a
tomatoe cage like structure to be trained around? I know such wonderings
are not likely helpful, but they might be a consideration in the future.

The answer is, sort of. The new growth comes out about 2" thick so it's already somewhat stiff. Also note that if it touches anything like wood or masonry it almost instantly produces a huge mass of roots that anchor it to the surface (which might be helpful in training but likely is not where you want it attached). This is certainly a learning experience for us...

RI/Mass border, huh? Which area, Woonsocket, Attleboro, Pawtucket,
Chepachet?

Know where Sheldonville is? (a village in West Wrentham). We're between there and Diamond Hill.

Best,
Michael Bove