nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Saskatoons - disappointing

  • From: Doc Lisenby <longdistshtr@shtc.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Saskatoons - disappointing
  • Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2006 12:59:01 -0400

"Salts and acids are said to 'wake up' the palate, and allow it to appreciate
flavors. Without those, food tastes flat. "

Stephen

Citric acid is added to many "soft drinks"/"pop"/ "cold drinks"/etc. for that "twang". I use it for adding acidity and flavor to modern "low-acid" tomatoes during canning. It also helps retain canned fruit colors. It is sold commercially under a copyrighted name but I buy mine from a chemical supply house. It is much cheaper than lemon juice away from citrus-growing areas, but not as "natural".
Doc