nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Saskatoons - disappointing

  • From: "Matt Demmon" <mdemmon@gmail.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Saskatoons - disappointing
  • Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2006 11:21:45 -0400

My thoughts on amelanchier:

I find that the tast varies a lot, even on the same tree. Slightly
bitter to dry to sweet and juicy to bland to tart.

I also don't think they make that good of a pie filling or jam,
lacking tart character. My favorite way to use them is in pancakes or
muffins, as this seems to bring out the almond flavor in the seeds
quite a bit, so what you get is a little burst of sweet juciness
reminiscent of a blueberry, but with a hint of almond.

So I just eat them fresh as I find them, and if I have too many or
they're not that great, I just freeze them and use them in pancakes
all winter.

-matt