nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Saskatoons - disappointing

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Saskatoons - disappointing
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 21:39:58 -0700

Try this for your filling, and please don’t blame me if it disappoints again:

Bring 1 cup of berries and ½ cup fresh orange juice to a boil in a medium saucepan.  Stir in a slurry of 2 tablespoons cornstarch in 2 tablespoons water, 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, and ½ to 2/3 cup sugar, depending on how sweet your orange juice was.  Simmer, stirring, until translucent.  Add 3 more cups of berries, 1 teaspoon grated orange rind and ½ teaspoon grated lemon rind, and remove from heat.  Taste for sweet/tart balance, and correct to your taste with lemon juice, vinegar (apple cider or raspberry), or sugar.

That first cup of berries needs to be very fresh.  You can gain flavor with the other three cups if you dry them first then reconstitute in apple juice.

Stephen