nafex - [NAFEX] rooting softwood mulberry

  • From: "Bassem Samaan" <bassem@gardener.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] rooting softwood mulberry
  • Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2006 05:07:58 -0500

I recently found a dark fruiting mulberry growing wild off  a main road. The fruits of these mulberry are like non others I've seen and taste it. I have tried at least 15 different varieties but this wild one has very large fruits, about 2" long. Also noticed that the fruits don't stain the fingers when picked. The flavor is great, sweet and it's not tasteless.

I usually propagate mulberry by grafting in spring. I don't want to wait until winter to collect scionwood, I'm affraid the tree won't be there since it's growing in a lawn area, and can be cut down easily. I had success rooting Pakistan dormant cuttings and other white mulberry cuttings in early spring.

So can I collect softwood cuttings and root them?  does the cutting have to be from the current year growth?

Bassem Samaan

Bethlehem, pa, Zone 6