nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Apple flavor

  • From: "Dennis Norton" <dmnorton@royaloakfarmorchard.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Apple flavor
  • Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 13:58:15 -0500

All the apples you purchase in the supermarket have come from storage of some type. And with over 2 million bushels in storage as an average going into each new season, even some of the apples you get in the supermarket are last years apples. There is nothing better than a fresh orchard picked apple for flavor and crispness.
The best time to purchase is from a local grower during the apple's harvesting period. If you go to http://www.acnursery.com/acn_apple.php there is a pretty good ripening schedule that covers many varieties. At Royal Oak Farm Orchard, we do not store apples beyond December due to their breaking down and becoming soft. Most commercial growers use CA storage (Controlled Atmospheric Storage) and can store some varieites up to 12 months. This is what you get in the supermarket.

Dennis Norton
Royal Oak Farm Orchard
http://www.royaloakfarmorchard.com
----- Original Message ----- From: "Rodney" <reveland@collinscom.net>