nafex - [NAFEX] Apple flavor

  • From: mauch1@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Apple flavor
  • Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2006 16:24:54 -0400

 <<I accuse
him of not being able to differentiate texture from flavor. He doesn't care
for them when mealy ripe which I do. For myself, a Red Delicious apple ripened
in storage and no longer crisp is a delicious apple.  For my wife and I, a 60
day old Mutsu is the very best apple! Even Gold Rush becomes eatable after
storage.

And I thought it was only my father growing up at the end of the Depression and
during WWII who liked mealy apples.  But given the variety in the world there had
to be someone else.  Growing up, my Dad would say - try one of these, they're
really good!  Many times it would be a mealy awful apple.

I admit I like a crisp apple, but there's other soft apples that I like such as Yellow
Delicious.  I'm even happy when I find them starting to wrinkle.  But every Rome
I've ever tasted, many Red D's and most MacIntoshes have been soft, meally, with
low sweetness and not much juice.  Turns me off of eating apples.

Chris Mauchline
SE PA, zone 6
40° 5' N 75° 51'W
~650 ft elevation