nafex - Re: [NAFEX] [NAFEX) Apple flavor, Jerry's comments

  • From: "kieran or donna" <redherring@tnaccess.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] [NAFEX) Apple flavor, Jerry's comments
  • Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 16:02:07 -0500

    Well, isn't this interesting, that a person who is very fond of squishy persimmons also likes mushy apples.  I remember my mother picking some persimmons when I was a kid and laying them on the dash of the car to ripen (we were on a trip).  When she deemed them sufficently ripe, they were so squishy I declined to even taste one.  Little did I know how much I was going to like them 25 years later.  (I was a very picky eater as a child; little did I know how many truly weird foods I would eat and enjoy as an adult.  I have some nice weed recipes ya'll might like to try if you get a lot of perilla or redroot pigweed growing in your orchard.)
    The 23 degree freeze last week that harmed nothing except for peach and plum blossoms has only increased my appreciation for native trees like persimmons with some sense about Tennessee's treacherous springs.  Two plums with no old world blood in them waited till after the freeze to bloom.
    But back to apples.  SUMMER apples are best when fresh picked, as they turn their starches to sugars quickly.  The heat of summer reinforces this effect.  After they are ripe,  you better get them in the fridge quick, or they're already going past their prime.  FALL and WINTER apples are not only selected for slow starch conversion, but cooler temps insist on it.  It would be interesting to see if a late bloom on an early apple noted for mushiness would spend longer in the crisp state.  Further comments would be enjoyed.  Donna