nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Apple flavor

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Apple flavor
  • Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 21:35:34 EDT

>If this is true would it be best to wait until spring to purchase apples
>such as Fuji and Gold Rush if you don't care for tart apples? It almost
>sounds like apples that have been in storage for a few months have a very
>different taste than those fresh off the tree. For some reason this never
>really occured to me. Last winter I preferred Gala as the best supermarket

To which came the reply:

There is nothing better than a fresh orchard picked apple for flavor and crispness.

That is one person's opinion. Maybe even the majority, but I happen to support the first writer's idea that a fresh picked apple isn't at the peak of flavor. Yes, the peak of crispness. My son likes a fresh Red Delicious and I accuse him of not being able to differentiate texture from flavor. He doesn't care for them when mealy ripe which I do. For myself, a Red Delicious apple ripened in storage and no longer crisp is a delicious apple.  For my wife and I, a 60 day old Mutsu is the very best apple! Even Gold Rush becomes eatable after storage.

Jerry