nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Early apples

  • From: "Dennis Norton" <dmnorton@royaloakfarmorchard.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Early apples
  • Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 11:20:20 -0500

We planted about 300 Ginger Gold on Bud 9 in April of 2004.  First fruit was August of 2005 and it was spectacular.  It is the best early apple I have ever tasted. sweet and crisp when harvested at its prime.  Out of the 300 trees we planted on Bud 9 rootstock, we only lost 5 due to the drought we had in summer of 2005.  We will be training to a vertical axis with minimal pruning.  It is a bit late for scion wood, since we have also started to push buds and are in the peak of our spraying.  We have already had over 2 weeks of +50 degree days and have hit some low 60's here in 5A Northern Illinois.

We also added Sansa to our summer apples at the same time.  They are a very good early apple and have a sweet/tart flavor and we are looking at Zestar.

Dennis Norton
Royal Oak Farm Orchard
http://www.royaloakfarmorchard.com