nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Akebia

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Akebia
  • Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2006 16:49:39 -0800

Did some work on Akebia one time. It's considered an invasive weed in PA and several states in that area. Not that it produces seedlings that readily, just that one plant grows almost like kudzu - as much as 40 feet a year. Fruit is weird - I've seen it here and it has a purplish-pink look that makes it look like a bruise or a large tumor on a vine. The edible part is the gel around the seeds, which has the consistency of egg white (or if you want to be blunt, like mucus).
It's a pretty ornamental and the flowers come in purple or white, but be prepared to give it room or hack it like crazy.
-Lon Rombough