nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Akebia

  • From: "K Q" <kumquat@operamail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Akebia
  • Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2006 15:34:58 -0800

We have heard of them described as sweet snot!

Kenneth Quattelbaum in Salem, Oregon
Green Hills East Vineyard in the making

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2006 15:49:16 -0500
From: Bob Hartley
To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>

I have two Akebia species, quinata and trifoliata. The nursery I got them
from said they will cross pollinate. Both have bloomed but only the quinata
has fruited The fruit (picture attached) is a large pod which opens when
ripe to expose the edible part. The latter is a stiff,
clear, colorless gel, maybe 2 by 10 cm. with roughly a hundred embedded
seeds., which are round, hard, smooth and about two millimeters in diameter.
The gel is sticky, very sweet, but with very little flavor.
The vine is four or five years old and had eight or ten fruits last summer.

Bob Hartley, Adams County, PA z6