nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Akebia

  • From: boyd manges <bmanges@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Akebia
  • Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 05:30:13 -0800 (PST)

I am growing 2 varieties...3 leaf and 5 leaf..the 5
leaf is shirobana. I grow them on the railing of my
deck here in zone 5 Michigan and after 4 years I had
an excellent, month long series of flowers...smaller
than clemantis, but still pretty, especially the
shirobana which formed clumps of white/pink flowers.
I loved the tropical/unique fragrance and the fruit
were a trip. We collected over a dozen 4 to 8 inch
long purple fruit that burst open to reveal a bland
seed/pulp mixture. I liked it, it reminded me of
"star apple" I enjoyed in costa rica, a custard/milk
flavor. I sieved it to make a juice which I also
enjoyed. no one else in the family would take more
than a small taste. To each his own!.-

for the edible landscape, it provides a rapid growing,
dense vine with very attractive leaves and an exotic 4
season appeal. the 3 leaf grew to 30 feet in 4 years.
good for an arbor or deck railing. I'm not surprised
they are invasive, they run like crazy and when they
do set fruit, birds would eventually discover them and
transport the seeds.