nafex - [NAFEX] Preventing Plant Shock

  • From: Jim Fruth <jfruth@uslink.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Preventing Plant Shock
  • Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2004 08:12:32 -0600

Ginda asked: "Thanks. could you describe in a little more detail how
you treat the plants?"
I agree with Stephen Sadler whose message appears below. I also believe
that B-1 is a somewhat over-rated product. I say "somewhat" because there
is enough research out there to ascertain it's benefits and attributes. A
lot of us use it as "an ounce of prevention."
As for dosage, the Superthrive people recommend one teaspoon per gallon
of water and soak the soil to the point of saturation. B-1 as marketed
under the 'Master Nurseryman' label recommend 1/2 pint per 5 gallons.

Jim Fruth
Pequot Lakes, MN

"B1 was an old standby for preventing shock. The bottles of nursery B1
had
instructions for the concentration to use. Bare root stock was soaked in it
before planting, and a dilution could be used to water directly onto plants
in your situation.

Then someone did some studies, and B1 didn't really do better than plain
water on bare roots. Compost tea did seem to have an effect, or even using
a good compost dressing on the transplant. In this case, the problems may
be changes in humidity and temperature, not just root shock. To keep the
roots sturdy, I'd layer some compost in the spring - not later than
mid-summer; and you might try an antitranspirant before moving the plant.
You might want to shift the bringing-in and taking-out times to when the
inside and outside temperatures are most similar to avoid thermal shock."

Stephen Sadler