nafex - RE: [NAFEX] Preventing Plant Shock

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] Preventing Plant Shock
  • Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 14:56:34 -0800

B1 was an old standby for preventing shock. The bottles of nursery B1 had
instructions for the concentration to use. Bare root stock was soaked in it
before planting, and a dilution could be used to water directly onto plants
in your situation.

Then someone did some studies, and B1 didn't really do better than plain
water on bare roots. Compost tea did seem to have an effect, or even using
a good compost dressing on the transplant. In this case, the problems may
be changes in humidity and temperature, not just root shock. To keep the
roots sturdy, I'd layer some compost in the spring - not later than
mid-summer; and you might try an antitranspirant before moving the plant.
You might want to shift the bringing-in and taking-out times to when the
inside and outside temperatures are most similar to avoid thermal shock.

~ Stephen