nafex - [NAFEX] Grapes on trees

  • From: Jim Fruth <jfruth@uslink.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Grapes on trees
  • Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 14:20:12 -0600

Rivka from Finger Lakes, N.Y. wrote: "I think the climates in which
grapes are often grown mixed in with trees
are further south. In Massachusetts, I'd plant them well away from the
trees; I think they're going to need all the sun they can get. Grapes
growing even in corners of vineyards near trees in my area often don't
ripen as well as those further from the woods."
I don't know how it is in Massachusetts but, here in Northern Minnesota,
grapes do quite well climbing on trees. In fact, I observe them doing
equally well as those I have trellised. There seems (to me) to be an
evolutionary trend that those plants that possess large leaves have the
ability to thrive under the shade of smaller-leaved plants - squash growing
in a corn field is an obvious example - grapes too, I think.

Jim Fruth
Pequot Lakes, MN