nafex - Re: [NAFEX] rooting kiwis?

  • From: "Hal Love" <lovehd@comcast.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] rooting kiwis?
  • Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 17:02:20 -0500

You can grow them from seed. However, unless you are wanting to breed new
varieties, you would not want to grow them from seed. They would not breed
true, and about half would be non-fruiting males. Some species, such as A.
arguta can have a long juvenile period, and may take several years to fruit
from seed. Of all the Actinidia species, A. kolomikta is likely the most
difficult to germinate. If you just sow them outdoors in fall and wait for
spring, some will germinate that same spring, but many will require a double
dormancy, and not germinate until the following spring. Stratifying them for
120 days in a refrigerator and then placing at room temperature will
sometimes produce some germination. Soaking them for three days in 1000 ppm
GA3 will sometimes produce some immediate germination, especially if you
alternate them from warm to cold every other day for a couple of weeks. I
have gotten the best germination by soaking in GA3, followed by 30 days of
stratification, then alternating temperatures.

Hal