nafex - Re: [NAFEX] rooting kiwis?

  • From: "Hal Love" <lovehd@comcast.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] rooting kiwis?
  • Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 11:44:07 -0500

Mark,

Yes, they root very quickly without misting. The seed starter trays I use
have a wicking material that runs under the individual cells, a water
reservoir underneath, and a clear plastic lid. By lifting the upper part of
the tray, I can usually see roots sticking out of the soil in about a week.
The real advantage of this method, is the shoots don't emerge until the
roots have formed, so no hardening off is needed. As soon as the shoots
start to appear, I remove the plastic humidity cover, wait a few days to a
couple of weeks for the shoots to lengthen, then transplant to larger pots.
I have never tried this with roses.

Hal