nafex - Re: [NAFEX] rooting kiwis?

  • From: Lon Rombough <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] rooting kiwis?
  • Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 07:27:11 -0700

Years ago I visited a nursery that was working out kiwi propagation when the crop was new in the U.S. They tried dormant cuttings and had such a low success rate they were growing seedlings and grafting to them. Then later I worked at a place that propagated kiwi by green cuttings in a mist bench. That gave nearly 100% success. In fact, they started new varieties on occasion by forcing small green shoots from dormant cuttings, then removing those to root in the mist bench. The original hardwood cutting never did root, and did die. In any case, I'd have to say that rooting green cuttings would give the highest percent success, from what I've seen.
-Lon Rombough