nafex - Re: [NAFEX] where do you live?

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] where do you live?
  • Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2004 16:14:05 -0700

Title: Re: [NAFEX] where do you live?
Desert King only bears on the previous year's wood, so if it is dying back, you won't get any fruit.
On the other hand, you may be watering it when it doesn't need it.  Mine grow where they get NO water and in over 25 years they have only frozen back one time.  Lack of water doesn't really harm the plant, and it forces it to harden off a lot more than if it gets water much of the summer.  If you are watering yours, stop now and the tree might harden off more.  It can get so dry it drops leaves without permanent harm.
-Lon Rombough

My Desert King has not fruited yet (four years) in my area of PNW. It dies back to
the ground each year.