nafex - Re: [NAFEX] need help with cherry ID

  • From: jeff <jko@bsn1.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] need help with cherry ID
  • Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2004 08:30:21 -0700

On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 16:18:11 -0700
"Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com> wrote:

> I had P. tomentosa for at least ten years and never got one fruit.

Thanks... We have similar weather and no fruit after about 8 years.
I was about to order some more bushes and try some experiments.

>From my trials it appears that some general rules about
Pacific Northwest Springs might be:
* Most stone fruit (peaches, plums, apricots, etc.)
are impacted by our cool springs.
* Pears and apples have good and bad years. The good years
are very good and the bad years impact selected plants.
* Grapes always grow strongly but long cool springs sometimes
impact sweetness.
* The kiwi must be niche sensitive. Our issai does great but
is reported marginal by others. The fuzzy kiwi's have
frost problems at times.
* The Desert King fig is dependable.
* Persimmons grow but the fruit has trouble ripening.
* Paw Paw are dependable

-Jeff Owens