nafex - [NAFEX] need help with cherry ID

  • From: "Mark Lee" <markl@nytec.com>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] need help with cherry ID
  • Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 12:56:00 -0700

I was recently in Hailey, Idaho near Sun Valley. While playing in a
city park with my kids, I found some 4 foot tall bushes that had leaves
that looked similar to beech. The branches were loaded with small
cherries, about 1/2 inch diameter. Unlike chokecherries that are very
round and glossy, these mystery cherries were like sweet cherries in
miniature without any sheen. The color was hot orangy-red, like
Montmorency tart cherries. Inside were tiny appropriately scaled cherry
pits. The flavor was neither bitter nor sour, just slightly fruity and
maybe a little sweet. It was like someone took my pie cheery tree from
back home, shrunk it down to a bush, took away the dominant sour flavor,
and replaced the normal cherry leaves with beech leaves. I wish I had
photos, but the handful of fruit I gabbed has now turned to a fermented
mush. Any ideas what this mystery fruit is?
-Mark Lee, Seattle