nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Pomona, Nutshell and NNGA Annual Reports to be auctioned.

  • From: natelson@pipeline.com
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Pomona, Nutshell and NNGA Annual Reports to be auctioned.
  • Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 10:09:07 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

Dear Jerry,

     The first issue of Pomona was in 1967, not 1961.  I also recently acquired a complete collection of the Pomona issues, most of which I have packaged up to ship as a donation to the NAFEX library.  In the past John Hillbrand has listed these in Pomona for sale as individual items.  In studing these, I think I have figured out why we cannot find a description of the Milo Gibson award winner for 1986.  That year was the only year in which there were 3, rather than 4 issues of Pomona printed.  The October (#4) issue was never done.  Typically, the last issue of the year had the writeup of the award winner.  I think it just slipped through the cracks and never appeared in the first issue of 1987.  Ed Fackler thinks the winner in 1986 could have been Roger Way, an apple breeder from New York.  Does this ring a bell with you?  I wrote to TO Warren, who was appointed chair of the Milo Gibson committee in 1985, to see if he remembers.  His daughter fields e-mail for him and despite his age (around 90) he still has his marbles.  I have not heard back.  If we can determine if Roger Way was indeed the winner, I would like to write a belated award statement to go with the one for this years' winner.  Roger Way was listed in our 2002 NAFEX roster, so he was probably alive and kicking (perhaps not too high) at that time.

                                                               Regards, Ethan