nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Early apple

  • From: "Richard J. Ossolinski" <osso@acadia.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Early apple
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 00:02:15 -0500

Mike (and others who might be close enough to attend),

The 2003 Fedco Trees catalog includes this invitation:

"Please join us Sunday, March 30, 2003 at the Maine Tree Crop Alliance annual
scionwood exchange and grafting workshop in the exhibition hall of the MOFGA
permanent site in Unity [ME]"

I can tell you without reservation that your interest and enthusiasm are much
more important to this event than any scionwood you might or might not bring;
and the workshops and demos are truly 1st class. No times are listed, but in
past years the event has run from 12-4 p.m.

Regarding Williams Pride: it ripens here on the coast during the first two
weeks in August, so I imagine it would be at least a week earlier where you
are. I've never had problems with Bitter Pit, but I do see some water core
from time to time, last year being worse than usual but still not much of a
problem. Having been both pleased and disappointed by trees from virtually
every nursery from which I've ordered, I hesitate to recommend any one in
particular; but, as a quick Google search will reveal, WP is widely available.
Hope to see you at the scion exchange.
Richard