nafex - [NAFEX] Honeycrisp or GoldRush

  • From: "Erwin Meekers" <erwin.meekers@luc.ac.be>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Honeycrisp or GoldRush
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 08:18:47 +0100

Lee Elliot and others are intensively crossing with HoneyCrisp for a next
generation of apples.

In general my best keeping apple is the GoldRush. It's still very firm at
this moment and has a very good taste. For years now I consider it as my
best winterapple (as a bonus it's also scab resistant). As an amateur fruit
grower I don't have the adequate cooling installations. So an apple that
keeps well without special cooling is required (I'm not talking about room
temperature: I keep them as much as possible outside and when it freezes I
put them in the cool garage). GoldRush ripens early November here in
Belgium. So compared to a HoneyCrisp (September) it has a big headstart :
GoldRush is still fresh on the tree while HoneyCrisp is already picked and
hence slowly decreasing in quality.

Last year was the first year I picked a HoneyCrisp. And I must say I was a
bit disappointed by its taste. Perhaps I should have picked a week earlier,
but if I read here that the quality is at this moment still very good, I
doubt if picking it a week earlier would make such a difference. Our climate
is here comparable to that of New York. Certainly not to hot to grow it.

Has anyone experience with both cultivars? How do they compare to each other
in keeping quality/shelf life under amateur keeping conditions?