nafex - Re: [NAFEX] replanting apple trees

  • From: Doug Woodard <dwoodard@becon.org>
  • To: Ginda Fisher <ginda@concentric.net>
  • Cc: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] replanting apple trees
  • Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 21:58:07 -0400 (EDT)

Ginda, if you want to plant another species not closely related, I recall
that Robert Nitschke (founder of Southmeadow Fruit Gardens) said that
English Morello cherry did well against a north wall, that the fruit was
of better quality in that situation than in full sun. Perhaps that would
be comparable to your 1/2 day sun.

I suggest that you still get out as much of the old tree as you
conveniently can. I find a pick very useful in gravelly or rocky soil.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada