nafex - Re: [NAFEX] replanting apple trees

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] replanting apple trees
  • Date: Thu, 03 Oct 2002 07:43:58 -0500

At 11:10 PM 10/2/2002 -0400, Ginda wrote:
3) If I do replant with an apple, I'm considering Ashmead's Kernel, from Fedco. Of all the mail order apples we've tried from AppleSource, this was the one the family liked most. (Among other things, this suggests it keeps well without refrigeration, as most of the other types tasted like they'd gotten too warm in shipping.) Fedco sells standard size trees - does anyone know how large this one is likely to get in eastern Mass., zone 6? Does anyone know what rootstock they use for "standard" trees?
Ginda,
A 'standard' apple will be grafted onto seedling rootstock. What variety, only John B can tell you. Antonovka and Ranetka are two of the more common seed-strains used for cold-hardy standard rootstocks in many parts of the US.
Ultimately, you are in control of tree size. Left unchecked, a standard tree can become 'as large as an apartment complex', as Ed Laivo says. But, with diligent pruning, you can keep a standard at whatever size you want it. You just have stay on top of it. Conventional wisdom has it that apples on 'standard' rootstocks take longer to come into bearing than those on dwarfing stocks, but I have no first-hand experience to speak from.

Lucky Pittman
USDA Zone 6
Hopkinsville, KY