nafex - Re: [NAFEX] replanting apple trees

  • From: "Doreen Howard" <doreenh@ticon.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] replanting apple trees
  • Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 20:08:33 -0500

Del Stubbs wrote:
The trees on steep
> hillsides especially are a concern to me to keep them small and low to the
> ground. Could you elaborate on "fruiting stratagy to control tree volume"

Ed Fackler told me about Gene Yale in Skokie, IL and his miniature apple
trees. He has 165 on a lot that measures 43 by 55 feet. I went to see him
and the trees and came away with a deep appreciation for the method of
pruning Gene has devised. You can find it at this URL:
http://www.enteract.com/~midfex/yale/intro.html
Click through the site to find the section on Culture, which details the
pruning. Gene's trees are on M111 and M27, but I suspect that an apple on
any rootstock can be miniaturized using Yale's method.
Doreen Howard