nafex - Re: [NAFEX] replanting apple trees

  • From: Ginda Fisher <ginda@concentric.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] replanting apple trees
  • Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 21:00:36 -0400

Thanks everyone.

John: Thanks for the informations. Antonovka will do fine, but I'll e-mail and see what's available. (Unless I decide that planting another tree is foolishness.) (Then again, when has that stopped me. . .)

Tom: I'm pretty sure the whole tree is dead. I'm afraid of infection, but not of active competition from it. Besides, my soil is very rocky and there's no way I'm digging out 5'x5' for a tree. I expanded my garden by about 8 sq ft this fall (and only one shovel's-blade deep). It took an entire day and I still bear the wounds - the rocks fought back. If this is a compelling reason not to plant an apple tree there, then I won't plant an apple tree!

David: The shade is provided by a nearby white pine and some oaks. No black walnut within reach, and the nearest maple is plenty far away. The spot gets a little more than 1/2 day of sun, I'd guess, mostly in the afternoon. The white pine is slated to be removed some day, but I was planning to wait until myh children had outgrown their tree-climbing years. The closest oak is my neighbor's, but I think it's far enough away to not be too serious a problem. There's a wild seedling crab growing practically underneath it that's doing great.

Ginda Fisher
eastern Mass., zone 6