nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Adequate nitrogen for our fruit plants

  • From: Joe and Ellen Hecksel <jhecksel@voyager.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Adequate nitrogen for our fruit plants
  • Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2002 14:51:14 -0400

Moyer, Richard wrote:

2) Am interested in Lucky and others planting in clover as a living mulch.

I am not the expert that Lucky is, but I studied nitrogen dynamics in grasslands so I can economically raise sheep.
-White clover is often quoted as producing 250lbs-to-350lbs of fixed nitrogen per acre. I think this value is very optimistic. I assume that the researcher optimized the test plot for the clover...no competition, 100% stand, *never let the top couple of inches of soil dry out*. Halving this value is probably prudent for clover under stories.
-A respectable alfalfa field produces about 8000 pounds/a/year of 18% protein hay a year. That pencils out to about 240 lbs of N/a. A great alfalfa field might produce twice that much. Again, 100% stand, good soil, *no drought stress*, few significant limiting factors.
-A played out grass hayfield with no significant legume component is good for 2500 lbs of 12% protein hay/a/year. That is about 50lbs N/a/year. The textbook speculates that most of that is from blue-green algae living in *the water film between the soil particles*.
-A grazed pasture in my part of the country will settle down to an average of 25% white clover with the remainder grass. Spots that receive much poop and pee will be solid grass. Spots that have *sufficient K, P and moisture* but little poop and pee will approach 50% clover. The following link has some wisdom regarding clover in pastures http://www.bright.net/~fwo/sub14.html

I took the liberty of highlighting the common factor in all the data points. Specifically, never let the to few inches of soil dry out completely.

The formula to work from (lbs forage, % protein) to (lbs N),
lbs N = lbs forage * % protein (as decimal equivalent) / 6.25

5) Back to my abandoned orchard observations: the system there is balanced
enough to produce regular crops of usable fruit. Am working to get my land
closer to that kind of balance.

I think the abandoned orchards receive significant N contributions from
visiting

deer, bear, pigs, squirrels, etc. They have reached an equilibrium, a stable ecosystem.

Best regards from Eaton Rapids, Michigan.
--
-Joe Hecksel
My personal web site: http://my.voyager.net/~jhecksel