nafex - [NAFEX] Adequate nitrogen for our fruit plants

  • From: "Moyer, Richard" <ramoyer@king.edu>
  • To: "'nafex@lists.ibiblio.org'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Adequate nitrogen for our fruit plants
  • Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 16:50:23 -0400

Chris wrote, in part:
>Heard an interesting report on NPR recently.
>http://www.npr.org/programs/morning/features/2002/jul/fritzhaber/index.html
> Personally, I try to use as little non-organic fertilizer as
> possible, but I also recognize that I don't can't generate
> enough compost in a year to improve my soil as much as I'd like to.

Chris, don't know your situation, but my neighbors bring me their leaves
each fall, the tree trimmers dump their chippings where directed, and we
spread grass clippings around our fruit trees. There's considerable
nitrogen in these sources, which is released over time as mulch around the
fruit plants. We're learning how to feed our family of 6 with minimal
monetary inputs.
Have been thinking about adequate nitrogen (N) levels for my fruit:
1) The NPR report above did not mention the action of soil microbes in N
fixation, whether free living or associated with legumes and other plants.
This is a major part of the nitrogen cycle, and can be used to our benefit.
Microbes also make N available from the breakdown of dead plant materials.
2) Am interested in Lucky and others planting in clover as a living mulch.
3) Areas of the eastern US have increasing N levels in rainfall, due to auto
exhaust deposition. Some researchers are now measuring the effects of this
excess N on breakdown of the soil organic layer on the forest floor.
4) As in #3, excess N speeds the breakdown of organic matter into CO2, hence
N additions can be overdone, even if the 10-10-10 or bloodmeal was on sale.
One can eyeball the inches of new growth, or submit leaves for foliar
analysis of too much or too little N.
5) Back to my abandoned orchard observations: the system there is balanced
enough to produce regular crops of usable fruit. Am working to get my land
closer to that kind of balance.
Home to pick pears, prop peach limbs and enjoy peach ice cream.
Richard Moyer
East Tenn, Zone 6