nafex - [NAFEX] Bush Cherries

  • From: Don Yellman <dyellman@earthlink.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Bush Cherries
  • Date: Fri, 05 Jul 2002 15:08:25 -0400

Miekal:

Dr. Hansen (can't remember his first name) worked with bush cherries for many years, I believe at S. Dakota State University. One of the results was Hansen's bush cherry, which I have grown and it fruited quite prolifically here. Don't know if any other commercially marketed cultivars came from his work. I eventually took them out after I planted regular cherry trees, because the fruits are smaller than tree varieties, and the fruit/pit ratio was such that they did not work well in our plunger type pitter. But they were vigorous growers, and since they were developed for the Northern prairies they might work where you are located. As I recall, flavor was not bad.

Rgds, Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA