nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Bush Cherries

  • From: Don Yellman <dyellman@earthlink.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Bush Cherries
  • Date: Fri, 05 Jul 2002 16:33:29 -0400

mIEKAL aND wrote:
Are Hansen's bush cherry the same species as nanking?. My Hansen's look
different than the
nankings, but perhaps I have them mislabelled?

mIEKAL

Don Yellman wrote:

Miekal:

Dr. Hansen (can't remember his first name) worked with bush cherries for
many years, I believe at S. Dakota State University. One of the results
was Hansen's bush cherry, which I have grown and it fruited quite
prolifically here. Don't know if any other commercially marketed
cultivars came from his work. I eventually took them out after I
planted regular cherry trees, because the fruits are smaller than tree
varieties, and the fruit/pit ratio was such that they did not work well
in our plunger type pitter. But they were vigorous growers, and since
they were developed for the Northern prairies they might work where you
are located. As I recall, flavor was not bad.

Rgds, Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA